Monday, 11 January 2021

Travelling to Nerja - everything Covid and Brexit related

UPDATED 20/04/2022

At Nerja Paradise Rentals we understand the concerns around travelling during the Covid pandemic and after Brexit and as such want to provide as much information as possible to provide answers and reassure our clients wherever possible.


You should check with the Spanish Embassy in your country of residence for current travel advice and restrictions for entry into Spain. Spain has adopted the EU Traffic Light approach to guide EU travellers who wish to travel to the country - check out for more information. The UK is no longer part of the EU and so UK residents have different requirements - see the Spanish Embassy in London's website.

Follow current COVID-19 rules where you live: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

All foreign nationals arriving in Spain must have proof of vaccination or proof of recovery (see 


Andalusia is providing all non-resident international travellers (non-EU) with free Covid insurance for stays at any type of regulated establishment in the region between 1 January and 30 June 2022.

As a regulated member of the Andalucía segura programme, all clients staying with Nerja Paradise Rentals will automatically be covered for this Covid related insurance which covers;

  • Medical, surgical and hospitalisation costs,
  • Medical costs of transportation and repatriation,
  • Transportation and repatriation,
  • Costs for the extended stay by the insured and companions (including quarantine).

Check out the following link for more information;

Given that almost all travel insurance policies will not cover Covid related costs, this is a huge advantage to tourists visiting Nerja and Andalusia!

For UK citizens travelling to Europe after Brexit on the 1st January 2021, your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) will be valid if you’re travelling to an EU country. Check for more information.

EU citizens are covered for healthcare as normal in Spain.


Non EU and non-UK tourists will need to apply for a Schengen Visa - the process for application depends on your nationality. 

If you’re a tourist travelling from the UK, you do not need a visa for short trips to Spain. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

EU tourists have no restrictions on the length of stay in Spain, but must register with the National Police for stays of more than three months.

Non EU and UK tourists wishing to stay for longer than 90 days may apply for a visa to stay in Spain - depending on their specific circumstances. There are different visas for retiring to Spain, for non-lucrative residence, studying in Spain and working and living in Spain. You will need to check with the Spanish Embassy in your country of residence for the visas available and application process.

UK residents should check the Spanish Consulate website


UPDATED 20/04/2022
  • Masks are no longer obligatory in public places - apart from in hospitals and medical facilities, or on public transport. Some places may still ask you to wear a mask - we would recommend following what the locals do!
We will keep this updated - so please bookmark this page for easy reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semana Santa - Nerja springs back to life!

After the last few years it was so amazing to see the full Easter celebrations in Nerja last week! Processions celebrated "Miércoles Sa...